Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Big sister Sarah


Every time I talk to my mom on the phone, she asks, "So what cute new things are the kids doing??" I always find that it's easiest to think of Hannah's new things because she is in that rapid growth and development where she's constantly doing adorable new things. With Christopher it's usually something really hilarious that he said to someone. As for his obsessions, he's still stuck on dinosaurs. When she asked me, "What about Sarah?" I had to stop and think for a minute. I started to panic as if I'd somehow been neglecting to notice my middle child! What I realized is that while Sarah seems to follow Christopher's lead in most things (i.e. she's into whatever he's into at the time), she actually acts more like the big sister than the little one. I told my mom that she's very bossy towards Christopher and I will hear my own words come out of her mouth to him (i.e. "Now remember Chridofer, wash your hands wif soap and water!"). At the same time, she's very motherly and nurturing towards Hannah. Whenever Hannah is out and about, Sarah is looking after her, playing with her, giving her toys, making her laugh, sharing food with her, and taking care of her. Whenever we're out in public, she insists on pushing Hannah's stroller or holding Hannah's hand when walking.

Hannah has lately been bringing me books to read to her no matter where I am in the house or what I'm doing. I cannot tell you how many times she wanted to have Brown Bear Brown Bear, What Do You See? read to her today. So if I need to do the dishes or get dinner ready, I can always ask Sarah to read Hannah a book and she does it with such cheerfulness and a sense of responsibility! As you can see in the picture above, Hannah will gladly plop down into Sarah's lap just as she does mine or Daddy's and Sarah will make up the story or tell it as best as she can remember it as she flips the pages. She's always doing very adorable things like this, but I can't exactly say that it's her new thing because it has always been in her nature to be so. I'm looking forward to how she will be with TWO little sisters in the house!

No comments: