Thursday, April 24, 2008

Budding theologians...

I've caught Sarah (age 3) several times in imaginative play by herself when she often gives names to whoever or whatever she is playing with, be it cars, stuffed animals, dolls, etc. This is very amusing and fun to watch and listen to because she is naturally given to excessive drama which comes out in her playtime (as well as her notorious fit-throwing when things don't go her way). Anyway, the other day I overheard her 'reading' a book and making up the story as she went along. Every time she would turn the page, she would gasp and go on to tell what exciting or scary thing happened next. When she put the book down, I realized that she was flipping through C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. She quickly proceeded to play with her cars, which she named Adam and Eve, and then sang a song in a very flat key while she played about how Adam and Eve shouldn't eat the fruit, 'cause they disobeyed God, and you don't want to eat the fruit, 'cause you have to leave the garden and on and on into the nonsensical. Of course, by the time I get my video camera, she's on to other things.

Today during lunchtime, Christopher (age 5) said to me, "Mommy, God is magic." I said, "Well, magic is pretend; it's an illusion or a trick, but God is real." He paused for a minute and then said, "Well, the reason that God is magic is because He is three in one." At this point I couldn't argue with his conclusion since the concept of the Trinity is incredibly mysterious and 'magical', no matter how old or mature we are in our thinking!

No comments: