Friday, May 30, 2008

Martindale


Funerals can be a very sad event, but they can also be a wonderful time of reflecting and remembering your loved one's life while being reunited with family members that you haven't seen in a long time. My Aunt Sis' funeral service was on Saturday, May 24th at the church where she and my Uncle Chuck served for 28 years, Martindale Alliance Church in Portage, PA. Many tears were shed that day, and yet everyone acknowledged that our grief was not for her, but rather for us who are left behind, missing her. Even Rachel, her youngest daughter who sang a song at the service (don't ask me how on earth she got through it but she sang beautifully and had us all boo-hooing), said at the end, "We grieve for us, but we rejoice for her!" My Aunt Sis' hope was built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. It was a very beautiful service commemorating her life and filled with the hope of heaven. My Aunt Sis wanted to have inscribed on her tombstone, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?"


Sarah was so inspired by Rachel's singing that she got up on the stage, grabbed the microphone and gave it all she got! (Yes, this was AFTER the service, the burial and the reception).


While Sarah was making up words and singing in a very flat key about Jesus, Holy, holy, holy, I will not disobey God, etc., Christopher was singing about pizza. I hope this is not an indication of my children's spiritual state.


Here is a 4 generation photo of the Vaughn side of the family. My grandmother, Mam Mam, is in the center, my dad is on the right, I'm obviously on the left with my 3 1/2 children all around.


My sister Melanie and me with my Uncle Chuck. It was so good to visit with him, remembering old times...but it was also rather heartbreaking since my Aunt Sis was not there.


Here I am with my 2nd cousin, David Jr., my cousin Rachel and her husband, Melvin, and my sister, Melanie.


Here I am with my cousin Debbie, my Aunt Sis' eldest daughter.


Here is my dad (Pap) taking Sarah for a ride on the 4-wheeler. Christopher, consistent with his nature, had no desire to get on that thing. Sarah, consistent with her nature, couldn't wait to get on and had no desire to get off!


Here are Christopher and Sarah by the creek (or as they say in Western PA, "crick") behind my Uncle Chuck's house. It's funny, I remember that creek being so much bigger when I played and explored in it as a kid! Being in that small community again brought back so many memories. I am thankful that my Uncle Chuck is surrounded by all of his kids and grandkids as well as a very loving church community.

No comments: